Friday, March 18, 2011

churchill memorial



As I stood there in front of Westminster Chapel, its white stones gleaming in the twilight, I imagined being there 55 years ago, in 1946, as Winston Churchill gave his now famous Iron Curtain speech. And as I turned, and saw the section of the Berlin Wall named "Breakthrough", I imagined being there 20 years ago, in 1990, when President Reagan came to help dedicate this monument to freedom.  And then, I closed my eyes and went back some 30 years in my own life,  and remembered seeing the wall from the west side of Berlin, along with soldiers standing guard on watchtowers, as we waited to go through Checkpoint Charlie. After pondering how the world has changed and how my world has changed in all that time, the words of the Apostle Paul from Galatians 5 came to mind  - "It is for freedom that Christ has set you free..."

No comments: