Sunday, June 5, 2011

"vigorous lutheranism"



"What do I hope for at this moment? My hope is for time, for patience, for prayer, for love, for kindness. My hope is for a time of peace, as God wills. My hope is for a church, which is and remains faithful to the inerrant word of God, and unreservedly to the Lutheran Confessions. My hope is for pastors and people who love the Word of God and read it vigorously. My hope is that wherever I fail, wherever we fail, whatever we have done or do to make our life together bitter, that God grant us repentance, and faith. My hope and dream is for a church which loves its pastors, pastors who care for their people, pastors who visit their members, pastors who head into their communities to “seek and save the lost.” My hope is for preaching which is lively and pulsing with damning law and the joyous, forgiving and faith-creating gospel of free forgiveness in Jesus’ cross. My desire is preaching which is both textual (biblical) and grabs the hearer by the neck, heart and toes, throws him/her to hell, then carries them to heaven. My hope is for laypeople equipped to share Christ in their vocations. My hope and prayer is for laypeople who are delighted to invite friends and family to church. My hope is for a lively mission of mercy where zeal is as great for orthodoxy as for mercy and vice versa. My hope is for continuing joy and success in reaching different ethnic communities, and through them, reaching the nations of the world. My hope is for a growing appreciation for the Synod’s national and international mission, for improvement in that mission, for advancement in what is good, and the support and participation of our pastors, congregations, districts, and people."
“I’m praying for you….” I hear that every day. Though my prayers often falter and are weak, very often I respond, “I’m praying for you too.”  I would ask that you pray for repentance, for me and for all of us. And for strong, undaunted faith in Jesus, to stand into the future with courage and joy."
"God grant us repentance, and a vigorous Lutheranism."
(Matthew Harrison - from his WMLT blog)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

Anonymous said...

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!